Friday 9 March 2012

330. Masonic Lodge


This is the Masonic Hall.  I was prompted to include it today having just read this article about Freemasons on the BBC News website.  I had intended to find out a little about its history before including it in the blog, but have never quite got around to it.  (If anyone wants to send me any info I'm happy to alter this post to accommodate it!)

I know very little about Freemasons, but I have to argue with the comment in the article about the non-existence of the famous secret handshake.  A few years ago the Johnshaven Freemasons opened the Masonic Lodge during the Fish Festival so the public could see inside.  A very lovely man shook my hand as  I left, and the experience was quite bizarre - very much as described by someone else in the article.

I do know a bit about the land at the rear of the building, which you can see in the photo below.  In the past it has been used as garden ground and apparently has incredibly fertile soil.  I think I'm right in saying that it is owned by Brotherton Estates, who are currently in discussion with the Community Council about turning this area of unloved and uncared for ground into allotments - a terrific idea!


1 comment:

  1. If my memory serves me right this used to be allotments here many years ago. My Grandfather used to have one and grew all his own veg during and after the war.

    ReplyDelete