Wednesday 22 February 2012

314. Stone heads


I've been Googling away, trying to find out something about these unusual stone heads on the house opposite the church, but I've drawn a blank.  If you know anything about them please leave a comment - did they come from somewhere else or have they always belonged to this house?  Are they depictions of actual people?

UPDATE:  They are the images of Mr & Mrs Cuthbertson who owned the Ship Hotel at some point - I don't know how long ago but it was certainly before the 1920s.  They used to be above the door to the Ship but when they moved into this house they took the heads with them.


2 comments:

  1. Kate,
    I remember being told a story when I was little that years ago they used to be on the Ship Hotel and were meant to be images of the owners at that time. After the owners sold the Ship they then moved into this house and took them with them. Whether this is true or not I don't know. One thing I do know is that we used to be scared of them when we came out of Brownies in the Church Hall!
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra,
      Poor Brownies!
      This morning I had a phone call about them from Margaret Douglas. She said that Mary Stephen's parents had the Ship in the 1930s and that Mary knows the story of the heads. She's going to ask her for details when she comes up in a couple of weeks, so watch this space!!

      Delete