Thursday 5 May 2011

41. Name that blue flower...


This was taken in the evening sunshine, and unfortunately the carpet of blue in the woods is in the shade. 

Contrary to popular belief, these are not Bluebells - they are Wild Hyacinths.  I am a complete ignoramus where plants are concerned, but this is one that I do know a little about!! 

The confusion over the name of these wee beauties was a favourite topic of my late father-in-law, so in honour of him I'm giving you the facts!

In England these plants are known as Bluebells, but the Scottish Bluebell is quite different, having only one flower per stem.  A Scottish Bluebell is known as a Harebell south of the border.

If you're a plant buff, you may be interested in this link to Two Crows, who obviously know a lot more about flowers than I do (not difficult!).  There's a lovely pic of a Scottish Bluebell on that page.

Whatever they are called, they are beautiful and they make the woods look absolutely stunning. 


1 comment:

  1. Wow beautiful blue carpet...
    Funnily enough the other day I was walking past some (English) Bluebells and remarked how like hyacinths they looked...which prompted an explanation from my plant loving mum!
    I've always loved Harebells too, they look so delicate...reminds me of wild flower spotting as a child...(I-spy and Observer books in hand!!)
    Thanks - a blue carpet to make me smile!!
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete