Saturday, 26 March 2011

9. Ropes

This bollard at the end of the pier is in regular use for tying up fishing boats. 

Is 'bollard' the right word?  If there's a special nautical term for these things, please feel free to put me right!

1 comment:

  1. Geek Factoid- Yep Bollard certainly is the right word. The word bollard originated from the mooring bollards found along quaysides.

    The name is probably inherited from the Norman-French name Boulard still often found in Normandy. It is a short wooden, iron or stone post used on a quayside for mooring ships. Mooring bollards are seldom exactly cylindrical, but typically have a larger diameter near the top to discourage mooring warps (docklines) from coming loose. Single bollards sometimes include a cross rod to allow the mooring to be bent into a figure eight.

    In turn, Boulard and Bollard probably originate from the word Bole which has it's etymological roots in early 14c., from O.N. bolr "tree trunk," from P.Gmc. *bulas (cf. M.Du. bolle "trunk of a tree"), from PIE *bhel- (2) "to blow, swell" (cf. Gk. phyllon "leaf," phallos "swollen penis;" L. flos "flower," florere "to blossom, flourish," folium "leaf;" O.Prus. balsinis "cushion;" O.N. belgr "bag, bellows;" O.E. bolla "pot, cup, bowl;" O.Ir. bolgaim "I swell," blath "blossom, flower," bolach "pimple," bolg "bag;" Bret. bolc'h "flax pod;" Serb. buljiti "to stare, be bug-eyed;" Serbo-Cr. blazina "pillow").

    If you bothered to read this far you will realise that I am bored, have time on my hands and have spent far too long at sea :-)

    I should probably stop here, I'd hate to be accused of talking bollards.....